How to show proof of funds

All foreigners applying for a visa in Chile, will have to show how are they going to maintain themselves comfortably while in the country, both while the visa is being processed and when it has been granted. To do so, foreigners have the following alternatives: 1. Apply for a work permit while the visa is being processed (“Permiso de […]

How to extend your tourist visa

The most common way in which tourists tend to extend their tourist visas is to travel to one of the neighboring countries, like Argentina, Bolivia or Peru, in order to come back to Chile after a couple of days and obtain a new tourist visa for up to 90 days (at the border or airport). […]

How to extend your temporary visa

If you don’t comply with the requirements to apply for the Permanent Residency you must apply for an extension, otherwise you will have to leave the country. The reasons for not being able to apply for the Permanent Residency may be: You were granted a temporary visa with less than a year of duration. You […]

Temporary visas in Chile at a glance

The draft of this document started as a way to list the temporary visas available in Chile that allow foreigners to work, with or without an employment contract. There are not too many places where you can find this kind of information other than in Extranjeria’s (“Departamento de Extranjería y Migración”) website, which is sadly just […]

Driving in Chile

As a tourist If you are in Chile as a tourist  you can drive within the country with your foreign driver’s license or an International Driving Permit (carrying your passport all the time). “Nationals from other countries, who remain in Chile as tourists, will be able to drive a motorized vehicle during the duration of […]